Homestead Tax Return

Kansas Homestead Tax Refund or Safe Senior Refund

All Hometead and Food Sales Tax refunds are done electronically, county clerk's office does not have any paper copies.

You may qualify for a refund if you have been a Kansas Resident for the entire year and your total Household Income was $33,400 or less and you:

  • Are a disabled veteran (50% or more disability), or the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who has not remarried, or the surviving spouse of an active duty military personnel who died in the line of duty and not remarried
  • Have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year whowas born before January 1, 2010, and was under the age of 18 all of 2014
  • Were blind or totally and permanently disabled for entire year
  • Were born before January 1, 1959

Completing Your Claim

The County Clerk’s Office will assist you in completing your claim.

Deadline: April 15th

What you need to provide:

  • If Disabled, must have Social Security Benefit Verification Statement or Schedule DIS
  • Property Tax Statement for entire year
  • Total Household Income figures (Wages, Social Security Benefits, Pensions, Interest, etc)

Homeowners who received a homestead refund last year and do not have any outstanding balances with the Kansas Department of Revenue and who check the Advancement Box at the bottom of the form are eligible for an Advancement. The advancement information was sent electronically to the County Treausrer's office and may appear on your property tax statement.

Important: You must still file a Homestead Refund Claim, Form K-40H between January 1st to April 15th

If you have delinquent property tax, your homestead refund will be used to pay your delinquent tax. The entire amount of your refund will be sent to your county treasurer.

If you have any questions about completing your Kansas Hoemstead Claim, call (785) 368-8222 to speak to a customer representative.